Deborah Foutch is an artist who works in multiple layers of materials and meaning to express her vision of the natural world. In art school she went from painter to quilt maker to mixed media fiber artist because the richness of combined materials came closest to the world she wanted to express. After graduating with degrees in art and history she moved to the Twin Cities in Minnesota to pursue her art career.
Deborah has shown her work nationally in galleries and festivals for the past 40 years. The discipline of the show deadlines, combined with the joy of playing with different materials keeps her work fresh and skills evolving. Her current work includes fiber and mixed media wall pieces and oil pastel drawings. All are executed with rich layers of materials, techniques and meaning. Her landscapes are constructed by a combination of painting and quilting techniques with mixed media embellishments such as rusting, burning & adding found objects.
Her current work explores Earth’s beautifully complex systems of soil, water, light and air. History and geology and plant biology are contained in her layered expressions of Earth’s dynamic changes.
She has expanded her long time art practice to include teaching the techniques she has explored in her art work and by mentoring transitioning artists through her studio in NE Minneapolis.
Recent Experience in Exhibitions and Commissions
● “Launching and Landing” WARM Mentor Show, Grain Belt Bottling House, Oct. 9 Nov. 7, Group Exhibit
● “The Nature of Fiber” Casket Arts Carriage House (CACH) Gallery, Oct. 7 Nov. 1, Group Exhibit
● “The Powerful Journey of Hereditary Cancer” Regla De Oro Gallery, Sept. 6 – Oct. 30, Group Exhibit
● “Voices Seen, Voices Shared” Bethesda Hospital Gallery, June 5 – August 2, Group Exhibit
● “40 for 40” CACH Gallery, Minneapolis MN , March 1231, Solo exhibition
● Vesper Atelier Casket Arts, May 20 22 ArtAWhirl Guest Artist
● “Soil Horizon” Mixed media fiber art for Hill View Farms, Morgan, MN, April installation
● Open Casket Show, CACH Gallery, Art Crawl, Minneapolis MN Oct 15 18
● Fall Fine Arts Show, NEMAA, Solar Arts Gallery, Minneapolis MN Sept 15 Oct 15
● Juried Fine Arts, MN State Fair, St Paul MN, August 24 Sept 5, Honorable Mention Award
● “Water Movement “ Hudson Hospital, Hudson WI, Aug 15 Nov 15, Group Show
● WARM Bethesda Hospital, St Paul MN, June 1 Sept 1, Group Show
● “Million Years of Rain” CACH #303, ArtAWhirl, Minneapolis MN, May 16 18, Solo Exhibition
● Earth Day Show, CACH Minneapolis, April 14 May14, Curator & Artist
● “Soil Horizon”, Mixed media fiber art, Common Harvest Farm, Osceola WI installed Nov. 20
● “Many Rivers” Mixed media fiber art, Regions Hospital, St Paul MN, installed April 2015
● Cache @ Casket Arts, Building Art Crawl Minneapolis MN, Nov 7 9
● “Beyond the Surface” WARM, Mentor/Protégée Exhibition , Grainbelt Bottling House, Minneapolis, MN Oct 1 Nov 20
● Fall Fine Arts Show NEMAA, Solar Arts Gallery, Minneapolis MN, Sept 20 Oct 20
● MN State Fair Fine Arts Exhibition, St Paul MN August 24 Sept 5, 1st Place Fiber Arts, & Excellence Award from MN Textile Center
● “Rooted Earth” CACH Gallery, ArtAWhirl Art Crawl, Minneapolis MN, May 17 19
●Fiber & Drawings, Howard Conn Gallery, Plymouth Congregational Church, Minneapolis MN, March 15 May 15, invited solo artist
●“Crossing Waters” Mixed media fiber art, Health Partners Riverside Clinic, Minneapolis MN, Oct 20
●“We Stand” Mixed media fiber art tryptic, Alina Hospital Mother Baby Unit, Minneapolis MN, installed June 15 2013
● Cache at Casket Arts, Studio Crawl, Minneapolis MN Nov 6 9
● Fall Fine Arts Show, NEMAA, Solar Arts Gallery Minneapolis MN Sept 15 Oct 20
● MN State Fair Fine Arts Exhibition, St Paul MN, Aug 24 Sept 5 Honorable Mention Award
● “Multilayered Landscapes” Spirit One Gallery, Wayzata MN, June 5 July 20, Group Show
● “Many Rivers” Body of work, ArtAWhirl Art Crawl, CACH Gallery, Minneapolis MN, May 15 17
● “Water Movement” Vine Arts Center, Minneapolis MN, April 6 May 5, Curate 3person show
● “The Gathering” Fiber Art triptych, Celebration Lobby, Alina Minneapolis Mother Baby Hospital, Minneapolis MN, installed Nov
●“HealingRiver” Culture statement expressed in fiber art, Amplaz Children’s Hospital, Minneapolis MN, installed in Oct.
Full CV on request firstname.lastname@example.org
Education BA in Art & History from the University Of Northern Iowa in 1977 Winning Art Department prizes for Outstanding Achievement in Fiber Arts 1976 & 1977
Teaching / Mentoring I use my 40 years of experience as a practicing artist to teach fiber art techniques and creativity in my studio. I mentor artists through WARM mentor program and privately