I am working to finish pieces for the American Craft Council show in St Paul next weekend. I have been pulling out fabrics that I have a step or two already applied to them. I had 2 versions of Summer River on two different green felt squares. I had painted in blue where the river will be and stamped the surface with 3 leaf stamps I’ve made. I also had like 50 leaves from those stamps on papers
cut out and ready with fuse-able web on them ready to be set in place with heat. I picked several green, blue, and green gold threads to use to add “flow” to the river part. When you add acrylic paint to felt it’s a rough surface and not very water like. So here’s the thing I noticed tonight as I sewed, there was a moment after adding several layers of threads that the water appeared. The kind of raspy blue surface flowed with the lines of threads. I’ve done it before so I knew it would happen but this time I noticed the change from thread line to waterline. I had a river, so I needed a leafy shore and moved to the process of the placing the leaves. I try to be random while being intentional.